May 19, 2015
Dear Cross-Country Runners,
Ms. Hayman and I are looking forward to another cross-country season next fall and are pleased that you wish to be a part of the team. I have been coaching since 1979 and have seen much success due to the work ethic of the runners at Hershey Middle School. To be successful as a runner in the fall, team members must run on their own during the summer to be in good physical condition when the season begins. Too many runners have good intentions to work out during the summer, but they don’t follow through. I suggest morning or evening runs so the afternoon heat does not take its toll. The middle school cross-country course is two miles long, and it is always evident during the first week that some have properly prepared and others have not. Our home course is at Founder’s Park. The high school x-c team has voluntary practices Monday thru Thursday at 7:00PM starting June 22, so I thought we would have voluntary practices just on Monday evenings at 7:00PM starting June 22. These are absolutely voluntary, and there will be no consequences if you cannot attend any of them.
All runners must have a physical exam prior to any participation. Runners may get a physical from their family doctor during the summer, or they may schedule an exam with the school doctor. School physicals will be given on Tuesday, June 2, beginning at 6:00PM and Monday, July 27. Linda O’Connor, the Athletic Department secretary, must be called immediately at 531-2205 to set up an appointment. School physicals cost $22. If you choose to get a physical exam from your family doctor, make sure you have the proper forms from the school. Every year, there are a few athletes who wait too long to get the exam, and then their progress is negatively affected. Athletes MAY NOT PARTICIPATE until the physical forms are completed and checked by the school trainer. Forms should be turned in to the middle school office prior the first practice. Physicals prior to June 1, 2015, are not valid for next season.
The first practice is tentatively scheduled for Monday, August 24, at 8:00am at the north entrance to the middle school. We will also practice on Tuesday and Wednesday from 8:00 until 9:30. We will practice from 3:30 until 5:00 on Thursday, and Friday, August 27-28. We do not practice on weekends. School starts on Monday, August 31, and we will practice every day after school for 1 ½ hours. The Run for the Chocolate Invitational will be held on Wednesday, September 2 at Founder’s Park after school. Please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org by the second week of June so I can contact you later in July with any updates and further information. Also let me know if you are unable to attend the first practices due to vacation or other reasons.
The Tim Russell Memorial Run will be held on Saturday, August 29 at Hershey High School. You can pick up forms at the Derry Township Parks and Recreation or google benandtimday.org for information. Mail forms to: Ben & Tim Day, P.O. Box 502, Hershey, PA 17033. This is a 5km (3.1 mile) race at 9:00am and a one mile fun run at 10:00am. It is not a team requirement, but the race raises scholarship money in memory of one of the best cross-country runners I have coached.
If you did not get the physical forms at school, you may access the forms at the Derry Township School District website under Athletics/Athletic Physicals. Once you e-mail me in June, I will know who to expect. Since I am retired from Hershey Middle School, I do not have a school mail box, and I am not at the school except for practices. It is very important that you stay in contact with me through e-mails. Coach Hayman can be contacted through her school e-mail address, and she will get information posted to her school website. Have a great summer vacation. We look forward to seeing you on Monday, August 24.
Coach Bob Dailey and Coach Megan Hayman
Announcements:Updated schedule for the end of the year:Mon. 9/29 - Home meet with Milton HersheyTues. 9/30 - PracticeWed. 10/1 - Meet at Middletown (school is behind Middletown High School) with Midd. and LDThurs. 10/2 - Practice. Run to Chocolate World (bring money)Fri. 10/3 - No practiceSat. 10/4 - LD Invitational. 9:00 Varsity report to LD Middle School to walk the course. 10:00 Girls Varsity race (Lizzy and Katie Jones, Abby and Olivia Wilson, Malia F., Maliyah P., and Kate Sinz). 10:45 Boys Varsity race (Mike M., Patrick G., Adam P., Luke S., Brendan O., Ian M., and Mark S). 11:30 JV Girls race. 12:15 JV boys race. JV runners should report 30 minutes before their race unless they want to come earlier to view the course.Mon. 10/6 - Home meet with Lower DauphinTues. 10/7 - PracticeWed. 10/8 - Meet at Middletown with Midd. and CDThurs. 10/9 - Practice with top 8 (to be determined in next two weeks) onlyFri. 10/10 - No practiceMon. 10/13 - No school; no practiceTues. 10/14 - Practice with top 8 onlyWed. 10/15 - Pod Championship at Founders Park with top 8 onlyFri. 10/17 - Team party after school until 5:00 if this date suits most. Details to follow.Sat. 10/18 - Blaze XC Invitational at Founders Park. This is NOT a team event; I will forward information for anyone who is interested.SCHEDULE 2014If you are unsure where the away meets are, please visit the school website to find directions.
Wed. 8/27 Run for the Chocolate Home
Fri. 8/29 Elizabethtown Home (Win for boys and girls!)
Wed. 9/10 Central Dauphin East Away
Wed. 9/17 Central Dauphin Home
Wed. 9/24 Palmyra Away
Mon. 9/29 Milton Hershey Home
Wed. 10/1 LD & Middletown Away (at Midd.)
Sat. 10/4 Lower Dauphin Inv. Away
Mon. 10/6 Lower Dauphin Home
Wed. 10/8 CD & Middletown Away (at Midd.)
Wed. 10/15 Championship TBA1) All runners are expected to attend all practices. They are excused from practice if they have another commitment and parents have contacted me ahead of time. Parents are asked to change other commitments on the days of races if at all possible.
2) Runners may not practice or run in meets if they were absent from school that day.
3) Runners may run in a meet even if they had an excused absence the day before a meet.
4) If runners miss practice for an appointment, a music lesson, additional academic tutoring, a family activity, or an emergency, they are expected to try to run on their own. Other than emergencies or school absences, I should know why a runner is not at practice ahead of time.
5) All team members are required to ride the school bus to and from meets. If parents (and only parents) need to take them home from a meet, they must let me know by e-mail or a written note the day before the meet. A runner may not ride home with someone else’s parents unless written permission is granted by a parent. email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
6) All school rules concerning behavior apply to cross-country practices and meets.
7) Runners must maintain academic eligibility according to Hershey Middle School policies.
8) There are no weekend practices. Runners are, however, expected to participate in the Lower Dauphin Invitational on Saturday, October 4.
9) Proper attire for practices includes a t-shirt, running shorts, and running shoes.
10) If runners participate in the first race of a home meet (boys or girls), they are encouraged, but not required, to stay for the second race to cheer for their teammates.
11) Parents need to make arrangements for their child to be picked up from practice within 15 minutes of its conclusion. A great deal of effort will be made to end all practices on time.