School Social Work Services
My primary role in Derry Township School District is to mobilize family, school, and community resources to enable children to learn as effectively as possible in their educational programs. I do this by:
- Helping families navigate through complicated paperwork for services such as free or reduced internet, free and reduced lunch rates and other services that benefit students.
- Helping families who have a truant student to create a sustainable plan for getting to school
- Assist families with children who are newly identified with a disability navigate DTSD’s special education services through IEP education and support
- Connect with families experiencing homelessness to ensure their children have what they need to be successful at school.
- Member of the Elementary, Middle, and High School Student Assistance Team - HIP
- Connect families to needed community services such as therapy/counseling, legal services, assistance programs, transportation, and food services
- Support district work in Social Emotional Learning
- Provide professional learning to the staff and the greater community on what poverty looks like in Derry Township and how it can impact students and families
- Conduct home visits to determine residency, encourage attendance, provide resources, and act as a liaison between the home and school.